Dragons at the Docks 2018
The 2nd annual Dragons at the Docks, raises over €250,000 for Dublin Simon
Cairn Homes take top prize
Over 800 participants took part in this year’s Dragons At the Docks property industry fund raising event held at Grand Canal Dock, Dublin 2. The dragon boat racing competition saw 70 teams compete in races and, in the process, raise €250,000 for charity.
The overall winner was the team from Cairn Homes, with Collen coming second, and Investec coming third in a competitive final race. Last year the competition was won by the team from construction company Sisk.
Nine of Ireland’s biggest property companies were the cornerstone sponsors of the second year of the event, with Dalata Hotel Group, Glenveagh Property and Hines joining the original six companies who launched the event last year: Cairn Homes, Green Reit, Hammerson, Hibernia REIT, Ires Reit and Kennedy Wilson Europe Real Estate.
75% of the funds raised will go to the Dublin Simon Community, with the balance to be distributed to local charities in the Grand Canal Dock area.
Sam McGuinness CEO of the Dublin Simon Community said:
“We are honoured to be the charity partner at the Dragons at the Docks. With the support of everyone involved we are making a life changing impact to the lives of vulnerable people living in unimaginable circumstances. Funds raised at the 2017 event allowed us to acquire two apartments and a 2-bedroom townhouse in Dublin now providing more people who have been through the trauma and abuse of homelessness with a home to call their own.
“This year, utilising funds raised at Dragons at the Docks, Dublin Simon Community plan to acquire five more apartments, for individuals and couples. Working together, we have the ability to deliver many more permanent homes, ensuring that people never have to face the uncertainty and anxiety of homelessness again. On behalf of Dublin Simon Community and most importantly the people who rely on our services, thank you for helping to rebuild lives.”
Pat Gunne, CEO of Green Reit, speaking on behalf of the nine cornerstone sponsors of the event, said:
“It’s great to be part of the second year of the Dragons at the Docks for what is an even bigger and better event than last year. With over 700 people taking part and many more coming down to enjoy the event, it is fantastic that there has been so much support to help us raise money for important causes like the Dublin Simon Community.”
Each team comprised 12 competitors (10 rowers, a reserve and a drummer), and racing at Grand Canal Dock was followed by a BBQ and entertainment at HQ Restaurant.
Well done to Cairn - winners of DATD 2018
TOP 6 TEAMS:
- CAIRN HOMES
- Collen SailFish
- Racing Stripes / Investec
- Henry J Lyons
- Row Hard or Row Home / Lisney
Well Done to all the Teams!
- Property Companies Challenge: Hibernia REIT, Kennedy Wilson, Cairn Homes, IRES, Hammerson, Green Reit, Glenveagh, Dalata, Hines, Ballymore, Relm/Bartra
- Property Agents Challenge: Bannon, Colliers, Cushman & Wakefield, Hooke & McDonald, JLL, Aramark Properties, BCP, CBRE, Lisney, Knight Frank, BNP Paribas, QRE
- Building Contractors Challenge: Collen, Flynn Management & Contractors, Walls, Duggan Systems, Mac-Group, BAM Construction, Sonica Fitout, Sisk, Virtus, Avestus, John Paul, T&I
- Financial/Advisors Challenge: AIB, Goodbody, Davy, Ulster Bank, Barclays, Deloitte, HWBC, KPMG, Investec, Wells Fargo, Bank of Ireland
- Built Environment Challenge: DBFL Consulting Engineers, Scott Tallon Walker, Henry J Lyons, MCA Architects, O’Mahoney Pike, Cronin Sutton Consulting, Lafferty, Cora Consulting Engineers, Mola, GSA/I3PT, Linesight
- Legal Challenge: Leman Solicitors, Evershed Sutherland, Beauchamps, Maples and Calder, Mason Hayes & Curran, A&L Goodbody, William Fry, Arthur Cox, Matheson, ByrneWallace, McCann Fitzgerald